- Region: Uttarakhand
- Duration: 6 Days
- Grade: Easy To Moderate
- Max Altitude: 12,500 Ft.
- Approx Trekking: 20 Kms
- Trail: Dehradun to Dehradun
- Available Dates: 9th November to 19th February
If you are looking for a thrilling adventure, then the Kedarkantha trek fits the bill perfectly! The Kedarkantha peak is one of the most popular destinations for snow trekking in India. The Kedarkantha trek starts from Dehradun, and the drive takes you through Mussoorie, and a few beautiful regions in the area!
You will be coming scross snow just as you cross the 10,000 ft mark and walk in the snow bed along the beautiful pine trees! A few beautiful campsites can also be seen while on the trek. The beauty of the campsites of the Kedarkantha trek can hardly be matched by any other treks in India. We can proudly say that this trek is one of the best treks in the world!
- Kedarkantha Trek is truly among the best treks with mesmerizing views that you will cherish for a lifetime!
- This winter trek will make you travel through some of the hidden places in the mountains!
- During your trek, you will be witnessing scenic sights with snow-capped mountains, verdant valleys and frozen ponds.
- Explore the vivid flora and fauna of the region as you pass through the beautiful trekking trail.
- Each campsite is known for its amazing surroundings with the beauty of pine trees!
Day 1: Dehradun To Sankri
Begin your trip with a drive to Sankri from Dehradun via Mussorrie. You can have your lunch on your way to Sankri. It will be a 7-8 hours sweet journey. On your way to Sankri, you will be delighted to come across the Yamuna, pine forests as well as exquisite Tons river. Sankri is filled with natural beauty, and you will love the place to the core. After you check into your hotel, you will be provided enough time to have some rest until the evening. You can enjoy having a walk in the peaceful village and prepare yourself for the Kedarkantha Trek by warming up. You will spend your night at the hotel.
Day 2: Sankri To Juda-Ka-Talab
It’s from Sankri that you'll start having fun and feel like you're on a thrilling trekking adventure. Start your morning with a healthy breakfast. After the conclusion of the breakfast, we'll be on our way to Juda Ka Talab, which is situated 9100 feet high. It'll be a 4km thrilling trekking journey and will take about 5 hours to reach to the top.
Once you are out of the Sankri village, you will head towards Sor. After you cross the village, the road will take a wide curve, and you will start climbing sharply. On your way, this road will head towards Kedarkantha. You will have to cross various bridges and move your way through dense forests. The scenery will leave you stunned due to the mesmerizing view of the thick carpet of pine leaves. The trail is totally wide. You will be able to hear the noise of running streams along the way.
In your way, you will cross through remote villages where you can observe the beautiful sight of children and women carrying bundles of wooden sticks, wooden logs as well as dry leaves in order to make preparations for the food. You will also come in contact with Himalayan Languars that are moving their way along different trees, swinging from a branch to the other. The Himalayan Languars are shy, and you won't be able to observe them perfectly as they move very fast and stay away from humans. You can also expect to come in contact with martens, boars and hares.
If you visit this place in the summer, the scenario will be a whole lot different. You will observe the luscious meadows to be quite verdant green with some beautiful Himalayan hilly flowers. After you successfully cross some beautiful streams and cross some bridges, you will finally reach your destination. And you can never miss its pictorial view because of its natural beauty.
Day 3: Juda-Ka-Talab To Kedarkantha Base
This thrilling journey is far from ending, and you don't quite expect how mesmerizing it will be. Now, you will make your way forward to Kedarkantha Base that's situated at the height of about 11,250ft. The distance between Jadu-Ka-Talab and this destination is approximately 4kms. It will take you about 2.5 hours to reach your destination. After you have your morning breakfast, you will make your way to your destination. The road is totally straight and is totally visible to the naked eye. You will make your way through dense forests of oak and pine trees.
In your way, you will come across various shepherd huts that are located in open meadows. And believe us, you will be absolutely delighted to watch those huts. If it’s the time of winter, you will come in contact with snow in your way. On your way to Kedarkantha, you can expect the road to be windy and can expect to pass through various shepherd huts and dry oak trees. On your way to Kedarkantha, you can take a few short breaks in order to re-energize your body and get refreshed. During your refreshment breaks, you will love the winds flowing through your face and the natural view of the place. Just before you reach Kedarkantha, you can expect to enjoy the mesmerizing views of arc-shaped snowy mountains compromising of Kala Nag, Bandarpoonch, Ranglana, Swargarohini, thereby showcasing their beauty.
After you make your way to the base, you can expect to set up your tent in an open space. And believe us, you will love the clear view of the night sky. We advise you to stick close to others during the time of night. You will love the view of the evening sky filled with glowing stars. And as soon as it's night, you can expect the sight to become more mesmerizing. The peak of the mountains along with dense network stars can be a jaw-breaking view, and you are going to remember it for the ages to come.
Note: You are advised to bring some woollen clothes in order to protect yourself from the cold winds. You will be spending your night in the tent.
Day 4: Kedarkantha Base To Kedarkantha Peak And Further Descending To Hargaon Camp
It’s your fourth day of trekking and its finally time to reach the Kedarkantha Peak. Today, you are expected to hike from 11,250ft. to 12,500ft. Fourth-day activities will include you to hike to Kedarkantha peak and then further descend to Hargadon Camp. Hargaon Camp is situated at 8,900ft. Your total journey will comprise of 6km overall, and you can expect to complete it in 7 hours at a moderate pace. It will be a longer day comparatively. But your excitement of conquering the peak will make you feel refreshed, and you won't even know how the time passed. We will advise you to have your morning breakfast heavy. After you have had your breakfast, you'll be enjoying the sunrise from the Kedarkantha meadows. And you will find the sunrise to be simply pure, amazing and pure. After all, we know that first sunray can totally fill you with a lot of energy. You can make your way to the top through several roads. But we'll advise you to take the main trail because it will be rising at an even level.
On your way, you will cover a few oak trees. However, the journey through the main trail will be quite easy and faster. When you climb your way through the forest until the end, you will feel the Kedarkantha peak coming closer. It will get a little bit difficult when the trail ends for the trekkers who are in it for the first time. However, when you spread your eye across and check out the view from the top, it will all be worth the efforts. At the very top, there’s a beautiful tiny temple that’s dedicated to Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva. You can find a little shrine of Lord Ganesha as well. This mesmerizing 360 view of the snowy peaks of Uttarakhand will be jaw-breaking. You won't be able to pin the view down in words. You can relax for some time at the top. After the long break is over, it's finally time to descend. Every beautiful journey comes to an end. And by noon, you can expect to descend. After refreshments, you can have your lunch. You will expect to make your way through various pine and oak trees as well as maple trees and shepherd huts.
After you reach the campsites, you will be setting your tent up and end your day after having your dinner. You will spend your night in the camp. However, if you want you can set your campfire and enjoy the late night time with your friends.
Day 5: Hargaon Camp To Sankri
You will make your way to Sankri by descending from 8900ft. To 6400ft. It will take you about 4 hours to make your way through the 6kms trail. The morning sunrise from the Hargadon campsite will reenergize you for the day. After you have had your breakfast, you can pack your bags and make your way to Sankri. The path will be clear filled with stones. You can expect to cross various streams flowing in a steady and slow way. You can fill your water bottle up. When you move a little down further, you will love the mesmerizing view of Har Ki Dun Valley. You can take your time and enjoy the place and click some photos. You can enjoy the sights of beautiful fauna and flora and store it in your memory. You will descend a further more, and by the time it's evening, you will reach Sankri. The last few distances are filled with pine forests that are dense.
After you have reached the base, it's time to get refreshed. You can freshen up in the hotel and end the day, OR you can go out a little and explore the village and do shopping. There aren't a lot of products available here. However, you can expect to find some wooden toys; hand made goods as well as wooden home décor items for your family and friends. You can interact with the locals and understand their lifestyle. Live is really slow in Sankri, and it's a place with 120 families. Apple, rice and potato are the sole ingredients in Sankri. People are known to build wooden homes for themselves to protect themselves from the cold weather. People are quite religious here. A lot of community events are held here, and you can expect to entertain yourself with some native dance and folk songs. You can have your dinner at the dhabas, or you can simply order some North Indian or western cuisines from the hotel itself. You will spend your night at the hotel.
Day 6: Final Day (Sankri To Dehradun)
It's the last day of your trip, and it's time to head back to Dehradun. Dehradun is about 220 kms, and you can expect a Tata Sumo or similar car to help you reach your destination. You will be starting your day with the beautiful sight of the morning sun along with a healthy breakfast. By 8 am, you will be expected to have your bags packed and check out. It will take you about 10 hours to reach your destination. You can take a few breaks along the way. You will be making your way through NH123. The other routes include moving through NH72 or Mori Sankari. However, we advise you to go through NH123 as it’s considered to be the fastest way to your destination. You won’t be observing a huge amount of traffic when you go through NH123. You will love the lovely surrounding and scenic ambience on your way to Dehradun. Enjoy your way to Dehradun by playing some games such as Antakshri or singing songs along with your friends and families.
Do you know what's the best part about this trip apart from the beauty? It will be convenient for you right from the start and until the very end. It's a balanced package where you get ample amount of rest, and you can take your time to enjoy the beauty of a particular place. The facilities for the travellers are absolutely top-notch. Everything's planned beforehand. You can expect to reach Dehradun by 7 in the evening. For those who want to go for further adventures can book the trip by 8 PM. And those of you who wish to stay in Dehradun can book a hotel.
- Temperature: Day: 8°C to 15°C and Night: -5°C to 3°C
- Trekking Distance: 20 km
- Maximum Altitude: 12,500ft
- Difficulty Level: Easy To Moderate
- Starting and Ending Point: The trek starts and ends at Sankri
- Railway Station: Dehradun is the nearest railway station
- Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
- Base Camp: Sankri (10 hrs drive from Dehradun)
- Snowfall: December to April
- ATM: Purola has the last ATM point before your trek begins
- 2 or 3 t-shirts, warm shirt/light micro fleece pullover/full sleeve t shirt
- 2 trekking pants that are water resistant/repellent and having inside lining for extra warmth
- Windproof/water resistant outer shell (jacket) of good quality with a proper hood
- Down jacket with min 600 fill power rating, thick fleece / full-sleeve woollen sweater
- Thermal inner wear (upper and lower)
- Woolen cap, inner fleece gloves, outer water proof gloves
- 4-5 pairs of thick woolln socks and regular socks, scarf/muffler (optional)
- Comfortable waterproof trekking/hiking shoes that come with a thick sole and high ankles
- Camp shoes such as sneakers/sport shoes
- Raincoat / Poncho
- Small light weight towel
- Insulated water bottle and hydration pack (optional)
- Cap / floppy hat to keep the strong sun away from your face, sun glasses with UV protection and ability to cut the glare (important when traversing through snow)
- Sturdy walking stick / trekking pole
- Sunscreen lotion, lip balm
- Torch / flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
- Personal toiletries
- Day pack/small bag which you will carry on your back every day and keep your essentials in it
- Carry rain cover for your bags
- Keep a few poly bags or waterproof bags in your bag in which if required you can put your belongings in case of heavy rain
- Nandadevi Express - Train no: 12205 (Departure 11:50pm; Arrival - 5:40am)
- Dehradun Express - Train no: 12687 (Departure - 9:10pm; Arrival - 5:00am)
- Accommodation. (Guest house, Home stay, Camping)
- Meals while on trek (Veg+ Egg)
- Trek equipment: sleeping bag, mattress, tent (triple sharing), kitchen & dinning tent, toilet tent, utensils and crampon (if required)
- All the necessary permits and entry fees
- First aid medical kits, stretcher and oxygen cylinder
- Mountaineering qualified & professional trek leader, guide and support staff
- Transport from Dehradun to Sankri and return (according to itinerary)
- Mules to carry the central luggage
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Food during the transit
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges